Health Benefits of Raw Onions
Onions have been found to have health benefits. So many people usually add onions to the food while cooking. But onions are at their best when eating raw. Therefore, we shall be looking at health benefits of eating raw onions.
1) Raw onion is known to lower the production of LDL (bad cholesterol) and keep your heart healthy.
2) The vitamin C (which remains intact while they are in the raw form) along with the phytochemicals present in onions helps build immunity.
3) Quercetin, a powerful compound found in onions, has been suggested to play a role in preventing cancer, especially stomach and colorectal cancers.
4) Chromium, also present in this root vegetable, may help regulate blood sugar.
5) A mixture of onion juice and honey(which helps make it less pungent) is said to be effective as a cure for fever, common cold, allergies, etc.
See this video on eat onions everyday for magical health benefits below:
. 6) Keep a small piece of onion under the nostrils and inhale, to stop or slow down a nose bleed.
7) Folate in onions also helps with depression and aids sleep and appetite.
8) The vitamin C helps formation of collagen that is responsible for skin and hair health.
9) Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of onions have been proven. One study also suggested that freshly chopped raw onions have these anti-bacterial properties, not chopped onion which has been allowed to sit for a day or two.
10) Chewing raw onions improve our oral health (though your breath may stink). They help eliminate bacteria that can lead to tooth decay and gum issues.
The flavonoids in onion, which are responsible for many of the health benefits above, are usually more concentrated in the outer layers of the bulb. To get the maximum benefit, try to peel as little of the outer skin as possible.
Over-peel and you can end up with unwanted loss of flavonoids. It is estimated that a red onion may lose about 20% of its quercetin and almost 75% of its anthocyanins if it is over-peeled.