34 Best Home Remedies for Toothache Relief
Here are some of the best home remedies out there for toothache, because nobody wants to be up all night with one! If you have ever had a toothache, then you also realize that you would do anything to stop the pain.
So here you go – Now Wait No Longer, because these methods here are tried and proven to work.
By toothache, it means a throbbing pain around the teeth or jaws. Toothache can be gentle, sharp or extremely unbearable. Some of the main causes of toothache are a dental cavity, an exposed tooth root, a cracked tooth, gum disease, a loose filling, or jaw joint disorder. If you have a toothache, it is better to seek immediate advice from a dentist before the problem becomes worse.
But in case you are not able to make it to the dentist, you can also try some natural remedies to get some relief from the pain. These natural cures are easily available ingredients, and are also safe.
Here are the top 34 best home remedies for toothache relief.
Try these excellent home remedies for toothache for instant pain relief.
34 Best Home Remedies for Toothache Relief
1. Garlic for Toothache
Use of garlic can also provide immense relief from toothache. Garlic is well-known for its anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties. Working mechanism of garlic affect directly on pain causing bacteria and reduce their growth and simultaneously kills them.
Medicinal properties of garlic is very effective in reducing the pain. To alleviate the pain, we will apply crushed garlic with salt on infected tooth.
How to do it:
– Take 2 garlic cloves and crush it in mortar with the help of pestle.
– In addition, to crushed cloves also add 2-3 pinch of salt.
– Mix them well and apply this directly over pain suffering tooth.
– Cover the entire tooth with surrounding gums.
Keep this for 20-30 minutes then rinse with water.
If you are comfortable with garlic taste, then chew 3-4 garlic cloves to alleviate the pain.
Repeat this natural treatment for tooth pain after every meals for fast relief.
In addition to garlic remedy for toothache, you can also sip on garlic soup for added benefits. The warm soup will sooth the gums and reduce pain.
2. Swish some salt water
You can thank the antibacterial properties of salt (Sodium Chloride) for helping relieve your toothache. Warm salt water is an effective pain-killing mouthwash to alleviate toothaches. I personally prefer sea salt, yet normal table salt will produce same pain relieving effects.
Salt Water Toothache Remedy Instructions
– Boil 1 cup of water for 10 minutes and pour that into a fresh mug.
– Add 2 tablespoon of salt : prefer sea salt buy it from stores if you don’t have.
– Mix them well to prepare pain-killer mouth-wash.
– Swish this warm salt water near the aching tooth for 60 seconds and repeat 10 times.
Salt water toothache remedy is highly effective in alleviating the pain.
3. Pepper and Salt Paste Toothache Remedy
Both pepper and salt have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Due to which, its paste is perfect natural remedy for toothaches. In Ayurveda, this pepper and salt paste is used as natural antibiotic and antimicrobial. Natural products which has a tendency to kill the bacteria and give health and hygiene are called natural antibiotics i.e. ayurvedic antibiotics.
Pepper and salt paste dipped in mustard oil is best natural remedy for toothache to alleviate pain and to get healthy gums.
Salt and Pepper Remedy for Toothache
How to make the Paste?
You need pepper, table salt, and mustard oil.
– Mix 1 tea-spoon of salt and pepper and pour 10-15 drops of mustard oil.
– Make a good thick paste out of it.
– Apply this paste directly on pain producing tooth and cover surrounding area.
– Keep this for 30 minutes or until the pain recedes itself.
Using this natural application on affected area will reduce pain fast.
4. Oregano Oil as Toothache Remedy
Oil of Oregano is an essential oil and best known for its ability to kill bacteria. It also helps in controlling staph infections like MRSA.
Health benefits of oregano includes its ability to prevent you from chronic disease, improves immune system, improve digestion, clear acne, prevents stomach flu, and protects against diabetes.
Oral consumption of oregano oil cure gum diseases, toothaches, cold and flu, swine flu, and fatigue. Furthermore, oregano oil is highly effective on varicose veins. Massage with oil of oregano can cure spider veins and varicose veins.Oregano oil is also used topically as an insect repellent.
How to use oil of oregano for pain in tooth?
– Dip a cotton ball into oregano oil and cover the affected area for 10 minutes. As a result, it will alleviate pain and swelling.
Use of oregano oil, 3 times a day can help you fight tooth pain and trauma.
Oregano oil should not be taken by pregnant women as it might cause miscarriage if consumed.
Onion is another excellent toothache remedy. It have antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. Due to which onion can kill the toothache causing bacteria and reduce pain in gums. If the ache is due to bacterial or fungal infection then onions will provide relief from pain by killing germs causing the severe pain.
Toothache Treatment with Onions
How to make Onion paste for pain relief?
– First of all, take one baby onion and cut it into four halves.
– Take mortar and put these chopped onions and make a paste with the help of pestle.
– Use this thick onion paste and cover your pain causing tooth with it.
Let the paste sit there fo 20 minutes or until pain fades away.
Repeat the process after every meal to get relief from toothache
6. Ice it : Cold Compress for Toothache
Ice is best natural way to soothe toothache. The coldness numbs the nerves and that’s what we will do here. You can put multiple ice cubes in a clean cotton cloth. Now apply this ice filled cloth on your cheek over aching tooth. This will numb the affected area, as a result you will find instant pain relief. Alternatively, go for this second ice remedy for toothache.
Cold compress toothache remedy
– Crush one ice-cube and wrap it with a thin cotton pad.
– Now put this cold cotton pad over painful tooth and repeat this 5 times.
– As a result it will reduce pain and provide fast relief.
Alternatively, take an ice bucket and put your hands deep inside.
This is simple pain hack, when finger nerves will send numb signals to brain it will override toothache
7. Toothache Remedy : Ginger Roots
Ginger root (Zingiber officinale) is well-known as a remedy for cold and flu, nausea, vomiting during pregnancy, chills, painful tooth, menstrual cramps, and indigestion. Health benefits of ginger are concluded due to its powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. Due to which, ginger is an excellent toothache home remedy. Ginger is also used as spice.
How to make hot ginger tea for toothache?
You need 1 inch 2-3 ginger roots, 1 small lemon, and 5-10 parsley leaves.
– Chop the ginger roots vertically.
– Add chopped ginger into 1 cup of boiling water and let it boil for 10 minutes.
– While it boils, squeeze out lemon juice in a bowl.
– Now lower down the flames and add parsley leaves and let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
– Pour this on strainer over a cup and add lemon juice.
– In addition to lemon juice you can add few pinch of salt for taste.
– Sip on Hot Ginger Tea for fast pain relief from toothache.
8. Lemon Juice for Toothache
Lemon juice can also alleviate toothache, due to its flavonoids, phosphorus, and potassium presence. Medicinal benefits of lemon consists antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial abilities. Using lemon as mouth wash or simply sipping on it will provide fast pain relief and soothes toothache.
It is also used to aid digestion, reduce pain and swelling (inflammation), improve skin glow, and reduce acne scars.
Toothache Lemon Juice Remedy
How to use lemon to soothe toothache?
First of all, let’s go with lemon mouth wash.
– Extract lemon juice from 3 big war lemons.
– Add 1 tea-spoon of sea salt and mix it well.
– Use this lemon and salt mixture as, mouth-wash.
– As a result it will provide pain relief and reduces gum swellings
– In addition to lemon, add 1 inch grated ginger and sip on it to alleviate toothache.
9. Apply Guava Leaves Paste on Aching tooth
The leaves of the guava tree can also alleviate toothache, due to their analgesic, anti-inflammatory agents, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties. Scientific studies on guava leaves, confirms that it can cure chronic disease, high cholesterol, acne, mouth ulcer, toothaches, and cancer.
How to use this toothache cure?
– Pluck 2-3 fresh guava leaves and crush them in mortar with pestle.
– Apply this natural antibiotic paste on aching tooth and surrounding gums.
– Keep this for almost 10-20 minutes until the pain recedes.
– Repeat this toothache cure twice a day for fast pain relief.
Alternatively, you can sip on guava leaves tea which will produce same results.
To make Guava leaf tea follow ginger root tea process.
In place of ginger root use 5 fresh guava leaves.
Let’s continue with the 34 Best Home Remedies for Toothache Relief
10. Clove Oil
Apply clove oil to the affected tooth using a cotton swab to numb the pain.
11. Peppermint Tea Bags
Place a used, warm peppermint tea bag on the affected tooth to reduce pain and swelling.
12. Hydrogen Peroxide Rinse
Rinse your mouth with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water to kill bacteria and reduce pain.
Mix thyme essential oil with a carrier oil such as coconut oil and apply it to the affected area to relieve pain.
14. Vanilla Extract
Dab vanilla extract on a cotton swab and apply it to the affected tooth to relieve pain.
15. Aloe Vera
Apply aloe vera gel to the affected area to reduce pain and swelling.
16. Tea Tree Oil
Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with water and use it as a mouthwash to kill bacteria and reduce pain.
Rinse your mouth with whiskey to numb the pain and reduce inflammation.
Mix asafetida with water to form a paste and apply it to the affected area to relieve pain.
19. Chewing Gum
Chewing sugar-free gum can help increase saliva flow, which can wash away bacteria and relieve toothache.
20. Cayenne Pepper
Mix cayenne pepper with water to form a paste and apply it to the affected tooth or gum to reduce pain.
Rinse your mouth with a mixture of vinegar and water to reduce pain and kill bacteria.
Chew on fenugreek seeds or make a paste from fenugreek powder and water and apply it to the affected area to reduce pain and swelling.
Mix turmeric powder with water to form a paste and apply it to the affected tooth or gum to reduce pain and swelling.
24. Horse Chestnut
Make a mouthwash with horse chestnut tea or apply a compress made from the boiled bark of the horse chestnut tree to the affected area to reduce pain and swelling.
Chew on licorice root or apply a compress made from licorice root to the affected area to relieve pain and fight bacteria.
26. Witch Hazel
Apply witch hazel to the affected area using a cotton swab to relieve pain and reduce swelling.
Rinse your mouth with warm milk to reduce pain and swelling.
28. Bay Leaves
Make a mouthwash with bay leaf tea or apply a compress made from bay leaves to the affected area to relieve pain and fight bacteria.
Try using acupuncture to relieve toothache by stimulating specific pressure points in the mouth and face.
30. Baking Soda
Mix baking soda with water to form a paste and apply it to the affected area to neutralize acid and reduce pain.
31. Essential Oils
Use essential oils such as tea tree, clove, and peppermint oil to relieve pain by applying a few drops to the affected area.
Apply wheatgrass juice or a compress made from wheatgrass to the affected area to reduce pain and swelling.
SEE ALSO : 15 NATURAL PREGNANCY TESTS YOU CAN DO BY YOURSELF AT HOME
33. Numb the Area
Numb the affected area with a topical anesthetic, such as benzocaine, to relieve pain.
SEE ALSO : HEALTH BENEFITS OF SOAKING BITTER KOLA IN COCONUT WATER
Try acupressure by applying pressure to specific points on the face and jaw to relieve toothache.
SEE ALSO : HEALTH BENEFITS OF UTAZI LEAF
It’s important to remember that these remedies are not a substitute for professional dental care and should only be used for temporary relief. If your toothache is severe or persistent, it’s important to see a dentist.
SEE ALSO : HEALTH BENEFITS OF SCENT LEAF
Hope this post on 34 Best Home Remedies for Toothache Relief helps?